Friday, June 12, 2015


 Otto, a pit bull, remains at NECOG animal control in Dayville after biting Griswold assistant animal control officer Shea Cavacini and her husband Harold Illingsworth at their home in Jewett City Thursday night. Cavacini recently rescued the dog.   Aaron Flaum/
Griswold’s assistant animal control officer is recovering in the hospital after being bitten Thursday night by a PIT BULL in her home.
Shea Cavacini was repeatedly bitten on both her forearms, state police spokesman Sgt. Shane Hassett said.
Shea Cavacini   File/

Troopers responding just after 10 p.m. to 12 Ash St. in Jewett City applied tourniquets to Cavacini’s arms to stop the bleeding.
Harold Illingsworth, also a resident of the home, received a bite on his thigh, police said.
The attack did not happen while Cavacini was working, Griswold First Selectman Kevin Skulczyck said. Because of that, he did not confirm either her name or Illingsworth’s.
The first selectman said the dog was a rescue animal being cared for in the home.
Animal control took custody of the dog, police said. The dog was brought to the Northeastern Connecticut Council of Governments shelter in Killingly, and the tan and white pit bull was there on Friday, kept in a cage marked “Otto.”
Both Cavacini and Illingsworth were taken to The William W. Backus Hospital in Norwich, police said.
Illingsworth was treated in the emergency department and released, Backus spokesman Steve Coates said.
Cavacini was flown by Life Star emergency medical helicopter to Hartford Hospital. She was in good condition there at noon Friday, hospital spokesman Rebecca Stewart said.
“She’s a great lady,” Griswold Animal Control Officer Larry Proulx said about Cavacini. “Nobody likes to see something like this happen.”
Skulczyck, while not naming Cavacini, said he was told that the injured individual at Hartford Hospital is expected to make a recovery.
Cavacini was hired by the Board of Selectmen for her position in September after being a volunteer at Griswold’s dog pound.
She also has been working part-time at the council facility for several months, council Executive Director John Filchak said.
“She’s part of how we want to grow the program,” he said of Cavacini.
“It’s an awful thing that happened,” Filchak said about the attack. “We are anxious to have her back and working.”


Anonymous said...

Let's see, a bite requiring tourniquets, and a life flight. Sounds like your average Animal Control Nutter down playing a very serious attack by a pit bull. And this particular nutter is how they want to grow their program? Um, yeah, if you want more people seriously injured because they can't accept that pit bulls are dangerous animals and should not be pets!

Cardinal said...

Golly, what a shock.

Sweetie Pie said...

This idiot would have blamed the victim if it had been anyone but herself. Maybe she'll still blame the victim. If she wants to keep her job at Animal Control, that's what she'll have to do. No way they'll 'grow the program' with anyone who admits that pit bull type dogs are too dangerous to keep alive.