Neighbors in the small town of Red Bird were stunned to hear a woman was violently attacked by a pack of dogs, just feet away from their homes.
Friday afternoon, deputies said 68-year-old Carolyn Sue Lamp of Coweta was killed when three dogs attacked her in the Wagoner County town, just southeast of Coweta.
A man saw the attack and tried to help by getting the dogs away and bringing her water, but she was so violently mauled that there was nothing that could be done.
Colbert said he doesn't believe the dogs are wild.
"I'm sure no one is going to claim ownership of them now, but our investigation will continue, and we will present our findings to the district attorney and see if there will be any charges," he said.
He said one looked to be a pit-bull mix and he wasn't sure of the other two. Colbert said dogs are a big problem in the area and, unfortunately, the sheriff's office can't help with animal control.
According to state law, an animal control officer is only assigned to areas with a population of over 250,000, so small towns like Red Bird have no one to call.
"Most sheriffs I know would provide a deputy and animal control officer, and I know our commissioners would to if the state law were changed," Colbert said.
What's even more tragic is that Lamp tried to help the very same dogs that took her life, according to the sheriff.
"I know this lady stopped a year ago and offered to feed these same dogs that attacked and killed her today," he said.
The dogs are now being held at the Coweta Animal Shelter as the investigation continues.
Some neighbors said there was a fourth dog involved in the attack and they fear it's still running lose.
Investigation continues into a late Friday morning dog attack that has killed a woman in Redbird.
Major Gary Handley with the Wagoner County Sheriff's Office said deputies received a call around 11:38 a.m. for someone either being attacked or having been attacked by dogs.
The incident occurred in the 600 block of South Main where the white female in her 60s had been walking along the roadway.
The victim has been identified as Carolyn Sue Lamp, 67, of Coweta.
"It looks like she had been picking up cans. She died at the scene," Maj. Handley said.
Authorities say Coweta Animal Control came to Redbird and took four dogs into custody. It appears one of the animals was some version of a pit bull.
We will have updates on the investigation as they become available.
2015 - U.S. DOG BITE RELATED FATALITIES - 19 (8 CHILDREN - 11 ADULTS)
PIT BULL - 12
FREDERICK MD -
WEST MIFFLIN PA
JEFFERSON COUNTY AR
HENDERSON COUNTY NC
SHAKER HEIGHTS OH
REDBIRD OK (4 dogs-3 pit bulls and 1 rottweiler)
PIT BULL MIXES - 2
COLLEGE SPRINGS PAGE COUNTY IA -
ROTTWEILER - 1
SULPHUR SPRINGS TX
UNKNOWN BREED DOGS - 4
COAL HILL JOHNSON COUNTY AR
ROSEBUD INDIAN RESERVATION SD
CANYON LAKE TX
(1-2- PACK OF FERAL DOGS - UNIDENTIFIED NATIVE AMERICAN MALE ABOUT 40- GALLUP NM - PENDING - 1)
1. 1-7 - EUGENE WESLEY SMITH - 87- FREDERICK MD - ATTACKED AND KILLED BY A 4-YEAR-OLD NEUTERED PIT BULL WEIGHING ABOUT 84 POUNDS THAT HAD BEEN RESCUED/ADOPTED AND LIVED IN THE HOME WITH SMITH, HIS SON AND HIS SON'S FIANCE SINCE MAY.
2. 1-19 - DECLIN MOSS - 18 MONTHS - ISTACHATTA NORTH OF BROOKSVILLE FL - ATTACKED AND KILLED BY 2 OF THE FAMILY'S PIT BULL MIXES WHILE IN THE CARE OF HIS GRANDFATHER.
3. 1-22 - MALAKI MILDWARD - 7 - COLLEGE SPRINGS, PAGE COUNTY IA - KILLED BY THE FAMILY'S TWO 8 OR 9 -MONTH-OLD PIT BULL MIXES.
4. 2-4 - FREDERICK GLENN CRUTCHFIELD- 63- COAL HILL, JOHNSON COUNTY AR - FOUND DEAD NEAR WOODED AREA OUTSIDE HIS HOME - AUTOPSY REVEALED HE DIED FROM BLOOD LOSS DUE TO MULTIPLE DOG BITES - THE DOGS, BREED UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME, BELONGED TO A RELATIVE.
5. 2-22 - TAY'LYNN DEVAUGHN, 2 - WEST MIFFLIN PA - MAULED TO DEATH BY HER AUNT'S BOYFRIEND'S PIT BULL INSIDE THE HOME WHERE SHE AND HER FATHER HAD BEEN STAYING FOR SEVERAL DAYS - SHE HAD BEEN AROUND THE PIT BULL PREVIOUSLY.
6. 3-8 - ROY HIGGINBOTHAM JR - 62 - WHEELING WV - AUTOPSY PENDING - A 3-YEAR-OLD FEMALE PIT BULL OWNED BY DAVID WALLACE, 63, POSSIBLY A ROOMMATE OF HIGGINBOTHAM, ATTACKED HIM WHEN HE TRIED TO GIVE AID TO WALLACE WHO MAY HAVE HAD A HEART ATTACK. WALLACE HAD OWNED THE MOTHER OF THIS PIT BULL SO HE HAD THIS DOG SINCE IT WAS BORN. AUTOPSY RESULTS SHOW THE VICTIM DIED FROM A SEVERED RADIAL ARTERY NEAR HIS LEFT WRIST.
7. 3-12- BETTY WOOD - 78 - SULPHUR SPRINGS TX - MAULED TO DEATH INSIDE HER HOME BY HER 5-YEAR-OLD ROTTWEILER
8. 3-14- JULIA CHARGING WHIRLWIND - 49 - WHITE RIVER SD - ROSEBUD RESERVATION - MAULED TO DEATH BY AT LEAST 2 AND PROBABLY MORE STRAY DOGS - BREED UNKNOWN.
9. 3-21- DE'TRICK JOHNSON- 36 - JEFFERSON COUNTY AR - ATTACKED AND MAULED TO DEATH BY 7 PIT BULLS AS HE GOT OUT OF HIS CAR AT C.J.'S GARAGE JUST OUTSIDE THE CITY LIMITS OF PINE BLUFF. HE WAS WAITING FOR THE OWNER TO ARRIVE TO OPEN THE GATES SO HE WAS STILL OUTSIDE THE GATES IN A PUBLIC STREET AREA.
10. 3-31 - NETA LEE ADAMS - 81 - WASHINGTON GA - FOUND DEAD IN A DITCH - THE CORONER RULED SHE HAD DIED FROM MULTIPLE DOG BITES - BREED UNKNOWN.
11. 4-14 - KENNETH LAWRENCE FORD - 79 - PAHRUMP NV - ATTACKED BY 3 PIT BULLS ON MARCH 13, HE DIED ON APRIL 14 FROM HIS SEVERE INJURIES.
12. 4-19 - BRAYDEN WILSON - 2-MONTH-OLD INFANT BOY - THE BABY WAS IN HIS BOUNCY SEAT. HIS FATHER WAS WITH HIM AND HIS MOTHER WAS NOT HOME - THE FATHER WENT OUTSIDE TO TURN ON A SPRINKLER AND WHEN HE CAME BACK IN, THE FAMILY PIT BULL WAS MAULING THE BOY WHILE HE SAT IN THE BOUNCY CHAIR.
13. 5-2 - GAEGE ANTHONY RAMIREZ - 7 - CANYON LAKE TX - MAULED BY AS MANY AS 5 UNKNOWN BREED DOGS AT A HOUSE IN CANYON LAKE TEXAS WHERE HIS MOTHER HAD TAKEN HIM TO VISIT.
14. 5-25 - JAMES W. NEVELS III - 5 - CHICAGO IL - THE BOY WAS VISITING IN A HOME WITH HIS MOTHER - A PIT BULL (OWNER NOT KNOWN AT THIS TIME) WAS AT THE RESIDENCE AND WAS BEING KEPT IN A BEDROOM BUT IT "SOMEHOW" GOT TO THE BOY AND GRIPPED DOWN ON HIS NECK AND SHOULDER - HEROS - 2 TEENAGE BROTHERS CAME WITH EVERY OBJECT THEY COULD FIND AND BEGAN BEATING THE PIT BULL - A CHAIR, A KNIFE, A ROCK, A POLE, A BRICK UNTIL THEY BEAT THE MUTANT TO DEATH....BUT IT WAS TOO LATE!!!
15. 6-28 - JORDON TYSON 'JO JO' COLLINS - 3 - THE CHILD WAS BEING RAISED BY HIS GRANDFATHER AND THEY WERE AT HIS GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S HOUSE. IT WAS REPORTED THAT THE GRANDFATHER WAS WORKING ON A CAR THERE. SOMEONE NOT NAMED WAS WATCHING AFTER THE CHILD BY LOOKING THROUGH A WINDOW AS HE PLAYED IN THE YARD. WHEN THEY LOOKED AGAIN, THE BOY WAS BEING MAULED. TWO DOGS WERE ON THE PROPERTY AND EXACTLY WHO OWNED THIS DOG HAS NOT BEEN NAMED YET.
16. 7-2 - NORBERTO LEGARDA- 83 - PECOS TX - THE ELDERLY MAN WAS FEEDING A RELATIVE'S PET DOG IN THEIR BACKYARD WHILE THEY WERE OUT OF TOWN WHEN 3 PIT BULLS ENTERED THE YARD AND BEGAN ATTACKING THE RELATIVE'S PET AND THEN TURNED ON THE MAN. BY THE TIME POLICE GOT THERE AND SUBDUED THE PIT BULLS, HE WAS ALREADY DEAD.
17. 7-7 - JOSHUA PHILLIP STROTHER - 6 - HENDERSON NC - NEIGHBORS ADOPTED A NEUTERED MALE PIT BULL ABOUT 1-YEAR-OLD FROM A SHELTER IN A NEARBY COUNTY AND THEY ALLOWED JOSHUA AS WELL AS THEIR GIRL ABOUT THE SAME AGE AS JOSHUA TO PLAY WITH IT - IT APPEARS THAT JOSHUA CLIMBED THE FENCE OF THE NEIGHBOR TO PLAY AND WHEN HIS MOTHER DISCOVERED HIM A FEW MINUTES LATER HE WAS COVERED IN BLOOD AND APPEARED TO BE DEAD.
18. 7-12 - ANNIE WILLIAMS - 71 - SHAKER HEIGHTS OH - SHE WAS PICKING UP HER 2 GRANDDAUGHTERS FROM THEIR FATHER'S HOUSE AND HAD A 13-YEAR-OLD RELATIVE IN THE CAR WITH HER. SHE EXITED THE CAR AND WAS ATTACKED IMMEDIATELY BY A PIT BULL WHO BELONGED TO SOMEONE WHO ALSO LIVED IN THE HOUSE. tWO MEN CAME AND TRIED TO PRY THE PIT OFF HER BUT COULD NOT AND ONE OF THEM GOT A GUN AND FIRED. THE DOG WAS POSSIBLY WOUNDED AT THIS TIME AND IT RAN INTO THE BACK YARD. OFFICERS SHOT THE DOG DEAD WHEN THEY ARRIVED. ANNIE WAS TRANSPORTED TO A HOSPITAL WHERE SHE DIED.
19. 7-24 - CAROLYN SUE LAMP - 68 - REDBIRD OK - SHE WAS FROM COWETA OK AND WAS WALKING ALONG PICKING UP CANS WHEN SHE WAS ATTACKED BY 4 DOGS - 3 PIT BULLS AND 1 ROTTWEILER.
(1-2 - PENDING - UNIDENTIFIED NATIVE AMERICAN - GALLUP NM - FOUND DEAD NEAR A FAST FOOD RESTAURANT ON U.S. 491 - POSSIBLY MAULED BY A PACK OF DOGS.)