BENTONVILLE AR - A FAMILY TOOK THEIR 5 POUND, 10-YEAR-OLD POM "PRINCESS" TO THE GROOMERS IN HER CAGE - WHEN THEY WENT TO PICK HER UP THEY WERE TOLD SHE HAD BEEN PUT IN AN AREA WITH A 40 POUND "COLLIE MIX" THAT INSTANTLY KILLED HER!!!
They're part of our family, they welcome us home, love us unconditionally, and it's our job to care for them. That's what one Bentonville family was doing when they took their dog in to be groomed...only to learn their beloved pet wouldn't be coming home.
The family says their 10-year-old dog was killed at the groomers.
So you have to ask, how this could have happened at a place devoted to caring for your pets?
"I don't want this to happen to another family. I don't want a mom to have to come home and tell her teenage daughter what I had to tell mine, because it is devastating and it should not have happened," said Laura Reynolds.
Reynolds says she dropped off her small, five-pound Pomeranian named "Princess", at Fuzzy Bones Dog Grooming in Bentonville last week.
When it came time to pick princess up, she learned her beloved dog would never come home.
"They said something's happened, we've put her in an area with another dog and it attacked her," said Reynolds.
She says the dog was more than just a pet to their family.
"I always just remember having her and my other dog Bear and she was the only reason that I had gotten through putting him down a few months ago, and so to have both of them gone now is really hard," said Kayla Reynolds, Laura's 15 year old daughter.
According to the the police report, Princess was put in a cage with a 40 pound collie mix that had never been to the Fuzzy Bones Dog Grooming before. Police say, Princess was killed almost immediately.
"I'm very angry that trained human beings would allow something like this to happen, I brought her in a cage where she was safe and I expected her to be picked up in that cage," said Laura.
I reached out to fuzzy bones for comment on what happened. They gave this statement:
"We are devastated by what happened to the Reynolds' dog-- in 16 years of business this has never happened before, and we are now putting in measures to make sure that this never happens again."
But Laura thinks that's not enough. She says their family will get past this tragedy, but she wants to warn others, so they won't have to suffer the way she and her family have.
"My advice is ask the hard questions, read all policies and procedures, ask where your dog is going to be every minute," said Laura.
"I know that you can always get another dog, and not necessarily replace her but find another companion, but I know that it just won't be the same," said Kayla
Laura Reynolds says she has hired an attorney to ensure this doesn't happen again.
TIPS TO KEEP YOUR PET SAFE AT THE GROOMERS
1. DO YOUR RESEARCH ONLINE-- REMEMBER, BIG CHAINS AREN'T NECESSARILY SAFER.
2. FIND OUT IF THE GROOMER IS INSURED-- WHAT IS COVERED IN THAT INSURANCE?
3. MAKE SURE THE GROOMER IS CERTIFIED, AND CHECK THE SOURCE.
4. OBSERVE THE GROOMER WHENEVER POSSIBLE
6. CHECK OUT THE GROOMING TABLE AND ANY OTHER EQUIPMENT THAT COULD BE USED ON YOUR ANIMAL.
7. CHECK IF YOUR ANIMAL HAS ANY SPECIAL ALLERGIES TO CERTAIN PRODUCTS THAT COULD BE USED.
8. FIND OUT IF YOUR DOG WILL BE IN THE PRESENCE OF OTHER DOGS, AND ARE THOSE DOGS VACCINATED?