FRESNO CO CA - 5 DOGS THAT AUTHORITIES THOUGHT COULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAULING ONE MAN TO DEATH NEAR A CANAL WERE RELEASED BACK TO THEIR OWNER - THEN 3 WEEKS LATER ANOTHER MAN HAS BEEN FOUND DEAD IN THE SAME CANAL WITH MARKS ON HIS BODY CONSISTENT WITH ANIMAL ATTACK
On Tuesday, Fresno County investigators pulled the body of 74-year-old Robert Simonian from a canal near Barstow Avenue, between Floyd and Bishop Avenues.
They discovered Simonian was training for a mountain hike along the canal And was carrying a backpack full of rocks When he drowned.
But a coroner's report now suggests he may have also been attacked by dogs before going into that canal.
Fresno County Search and Rescue teams spent their Independence Day trolling this canal for any sign of Robert Simonian.
Simonian had left his home at nine a.m. the morning of July 4th, and that was the last time he was seen until the next day when crews found his body.
"The cause of death for Mr. Simonian has been determined as drowning however,he did have marks on his body that are consistent with an animal attack," Sheriff Margaret Mims said.
Mims recalled another case from April 14th, where they found another body in the same canal, this time it was dry.
"THE CAUSE OF HIS DEATH IS AS A RESULT OF AN ANIMAL ATTACK," Mims said.
During the course of that investigation, the sheriff's office impounded FIVE DOGS from the area.
Without being able to prove the dogs were responsible for his death, they were released back to their owner on June 16th.
Then, three weeks later, Simonian was found in the same canal, also with attack marks.
Since then, investigators have re-impounded the dogs, and are using outside help.
"To help us in this case, so that we can do some comparisons with the dogs that we do have in custody as well as the marks on the victims body," Mims said.
But they have not yet determined responsibility for either attack so they are asking for the public's help.
"We need independent information from people who maybe have had contact with animals in that area," Mims said.
The dog's are being held at Fresno Humane Animal Control, pending the investigation..
President Brenda Mitchell says all pet owners have a responsibility to keep their animals under control.
"We need to have conversations with pet owners to make them understand their responsibility, and that is definitely, even in the County of Fresno, keeping your pets secured on your own property," Mitchell said.
If you have any information, Sheriff Mims is asking the public to contact detectives directly. You can call detective Palma at (559) 600-8204 or you can call Crime Stoppers at 498-STOP.
YOUNGSTOWN OH PACK OF DOGS - 1 TRAVIS CO TX ( Husky/Australian Cattle Dog Mix and Lab/Great Pyrenees Mix) CA - 4 NC - 3 TX - 2 FL - 2 CT - 1 ME - 1 MO - 1 OH - 1 VA - 1 WA - 1 3 - 3-DAY-OLD INFANTS HAVE BEEN KILLED BY DOGS IN 2016
1) 1-3 - TYLER TRAMMELL-HUSTON - 9 - LINDA YUBA COUNTY CA - THE BOY WAS IN FOSTER CARE AND THE SYSTEM ALLOWED HIM TO VISIT WITH HIS 24-YEAR-OLD HALF SISTER WHO LIVED IN A TRAVEL TRAILER WITH 3 PIT BULLS. IT APPEARS SHE LEFT HIM TO GO TO WORK AND WHEN SHE CAME BACK HE WAS MAULED TO DEATH. 2) 1-8/9 - PAYTON LYRIK SAWYERS - 15 MONTHS - INDEPENDENCE GRAYSON CO VA - ATTACKED BY A PIT BULL/ROTTWEILER MIX?? ON THE NIGHT OF JANUARY 6 AT A HOME OF 2 PEOPLE SAID TO BE HER BABYSITTERS - SHE WAS RUSHED TO A HOSPITAL IN NC WITH SEVERE HEAD INJURIES AND WAS PLACED ON LIFE SUPPORT- SHE DIED ON JAN 8 OR 9, 2016.
3) 1-24 - TALEN NATHAN WEST - 7 - LUMBERTON ROBESON CO NC - PIT BULL - TWO 7 AND 8-YEAR-OLD BROTHERS WERE PLAYING IN A WOODED AREA NEAR THEIR HOME WHEN A NEIGHBOR'S PIT BULL THAT THEY WERE FAMILIAR WITH ATTACKED THEM - 8-YEAR-OLD JAYLEN WAS BITTEN ON HIS LEGS BUT IT GOT TALEN BY THE NECK AND BROKE IT - HE WAS NOT RESPONSIVE WHEN FIRST RESPONDERS ARRIVED.
4) 2-7 - AIDEN JOHNATHON-GRIM MORELLI - 3-DAY-OLD INFANT BOY- YOUNGSTOWN OH - THE 21-YEAR-OLD MOTHER WAS SLEEPING THE NIGHT ON THE COUCH AT HER MOTHER'S HOME AND LEFT THE INFANT ON THE FLOOR IN A "MAKESHIFT CRIB" REPORTED TO HAVE BEEN A LAUNDRY BASKET -HER MOTHER AND HER BROTHER WERE ALSO AT HOME DURING THIS TIME - THE MOTHER AWOKE TO FIND HER NEWBORN WITH HEAD INJURIES - THERE WERE 5 DOGS IN THE HOME - REPORTS SAY THE DOG THAT DID THIS WAS A MIXED BREED SHEPHERD.
5) 2-10 - SUZANNE STORY- 36 - PERQUIMANS COUNTY NC - THE VICTIM'S MOTHER REPORTED THAT SHE HAD ADOPTED THE DOG THAT LOOKED LIKE A BOXER/BULLDOG MIX ABOUT A WEEK AGO FROM AN AD IN A NEWSPAPER THAT SAID IT WAS GOOD AROUND SMALL CHILDREN - SHE WAS CLEANING THE DOG'S CRATE WHEN IT ATTACKED HER - HER SISTER WAS THERE AT THE TIME AND TRIED TO GET IT OFF HER AND WAS INJURED ALSO - SHE WAS AIRLIFTED TO A HOSPITAL BUT DIED AS THE HELICOPTER WAS LANDING.
6) 3-8 - GLADYS ALEXANDER - 92 - THURSTON CO WASHINGTON - THE WORLD WAR II VET WAS ATTACKED BY 4 PIT BULL MIXES THAT WERE AT HER NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE ACROSS THE STREET - SHE HAD WALKED ACROSS THE STREET TO GIVE THE NEIGHBOR THE NEWSPAPER BUT THE NEIGHBOR HAD GONE OUT FOR A FEW MINUTES AND IT LOOKED LIKE THE DOGS GRABBED HER AND DRAGGED HER INSIDE THE HOUSE - THE NEIGHBOR RETURNED AND FOUND THE DOGS ATTACKING HER AND STOPPED IT BUT NOT BEFORE THE DAMAGE WAS DONE - HER LEG AND ARM WERE AMPUTATED BUT SHE SUCCUMBED TO THE HORRIFIC INJURIES.
7) 3-28 - BESSIE FLOWERS - 86 - CHARLOTTE NC - POLICE SOURCES STATED THAT WHILE VISITING IN HER DAUGHTER'S TOWNHOME THE ELDERLY WOMAN WAS ON THE BACK DECK AND SLIPPED OR TRIPPED AS SHE WAS COMING BACK INSIDE AND FELL - THE DAUGHTER'S 2 AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIERS WHICH THE VICTIM KNEW WELL BEGAN "PLAYING" WITH HER AND THEN ESCALATED INTO A FULL-BLOWN ATTACK GOING IN FOR THE KILL ON HER NECK AND HEAD - NEIGHBORS SAID THAT THE DOGS HAD SHOWN AGGRESSION IN THE PAST ATTACKING 2 OTHER DOGS - AFTER SEEING HER OWN MOTHER MAULED TO DEATH BY HER PIT BULLS THE DAUGHTER STILL REFUSED TO SIGN THE DOGS OVER TO OFFICIALS SO ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICERS SEIZED THEM.
8) 3-31 - SONDA TYSON - 66 - LEESBURG FL - THE VICTIM WAS MAULED BY HER BRINDLE PIT BULL MIX SHE HAD ACQUIRED AS A PUPPY - SHE WAS FOUND ON HER BACK PORCH BY HER 13-YEAR-OLD GRANDDAUGHTER AND HER DAUGHTER-IN-LAW WITH SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO HER ARMS THAT WAS MISSING FLESH WITH BONES VISIBLE - THE DOG WAS STILL NEARBY HER INSIDE THE HOME SO A POLICE OFFICER SHOT IT TWICE FROM ON TOP OF A FIRE TRUCK SO THAT MEDICS COULD GET TO THE VICTIM BUT SHE HAD ALREADY DIED - IT IS BELIEVED SHE BLED TO DEATH. 9) 4-21 - SEBASTIAN CABAN - 3-DAY-OLD INFANT BOY - MIRA MESA SAN DIEGO CA - FIRST REPORT SAYS THE MOTHER AND FATHER OF THE INFANT WERE IN BED BESIDE IT WATCHING TV WITH THEIR NEUTERED 2-YEAR-OLD PIT BULL WHEN THE MOM COUGHED AND TRIGGERED THE PIT TO ATTACK THE BABY AND KILL IT - THE PIT BULL WAS ADOPTED FROM THE SAN DIEGO HUMANE SOCIETY ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO AND WAS TESTED FOR AGGRESSION - NO WORD ON WHAT THE PIT BULL'S HISTORY WAS - HAD IT EVER ATTACKED ANYONE BEFORE? 10) 4-23 - MANUEL MEJIA - 49 - HOMESTEAD AREA MIAMI-DADE COUNTY FL- IT IS REPORTED THAT HE WAS A LIVE- IN WORKER AT THE DRAGON FRUIT FARM AND WAS WALKING WITH HIS GIRLFRIEND WHEN HE WAS ATTACKED BY HIS EMPLOYERS MANY DOGS - THE GIRLFRIEND REPORTED THAT 3 DOGS FIRST ATTACKED HIM AND THEN UP TO 7 DOGS JOINED IN - HE DIED FROM HIS MASSIVE INJURIES - WEEKS AFTER THE DEATH MIAMI-DADE ANIMAL SERVICES FINALLY SEIZED THE ANIMALS - ONE WAS SHOT THEN AS IT THREATENED AN OFFICER - 9 DOGS TOTAL ... THE PACKS MOTHER WAS A PIT BULL.
11) 5-9 ADONIS REDDICK - ST. LOUIS COUNTY MO - ON MONDAY MORNING RELATIVES WENT TO CHECK ON THE MAN WHO HAD NOT BEEN SEEN OR HEARD FROM SINCE SATURDAY AND THEY FOUND HIM DEAD- ONE OF HIS TWO PIT BULLS WAS SHOT BECAUSE IT WAS SO AGGRESSIVE - AUTHORITIES NOW BELIEVE THIS WAS THE PIT BULL THAT KILLED ITS OWNER - THE VICTIM HAD MASSIVE INJURIES TO HIS NECK.
12) 5-9 ANTOINETTE BROWN - 52 - DALLAS TX - SHE WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF DOGS EARLY ON MAY 2 AND WAS SO SEVERELY INJURED THAT SHE WAS PLACED IN A MEDICALLY INDUCED COMA - SHE WAS BITTEN MORE THAN 100 TIMES AND WAS DEGLOVED WITH EXPOSED MUSCLE AND TENDONS ON MUCH OF HER BODY - SHE WAS REMOVED FROM LIFE SUPPORT MONDAY MAY 9 - 6 DOGS HAVE BEEN FOUND WITH NO INFORMATION AS TO THE BREED OF ANY OF THEM. 13) 6-4 - HUNTER BRAGG - 7 - CORINNA MAINE - MAULED TO DEATH BY A PIT BULL BELONGING TO A RELATIVE HE WAS VISITING - THE PREVIOUS OWNER OF THE DOG SAID ON HER FACEBOOK PAGE THAT SHE HAD RECENTLY "REHOMED" THE DOG BECAUSE OF "OTHER ANIMAL AGGRESSION" - 14) 6-4 - EARL WAYNE STEPHENS JR - 43 - STOCKTON CA - STEPHENS WENT TO VISIT A FRIEND WHO OWNED A PIT BULL WITH PUPPIES - HE WENT TO HIS CAR TO GET SOMETHING AND WAS ATTACKED BY THE ADULT PIT AND THE PUPPIES JOINED IN - IN THE VIDEO IT SOUNDS LIKE STEPHENS KNEW THESE PITS AND THEY KNEW HIM! 15) 6-15 ERIN MCCLESKEY - 36 - TRAVIS COUNTY TX - SHE HAD GONE TO THE PROPERTY TO SERVE CIVIL PAPERS FOR EXECUTIVE PROCESS SERVICE AND WAS ATTACKED BY SEVERAL DOGS AS SHE ENTERED THE FRONT GATE - SIX DOGS WERE IMPOUNDED AND 14 ADDITIONAL PUPPIES WERE FOUND - THE ATTACKING DOGS WERE POSSIBLY HUSKY/AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG MIX AND/OR LAB/GREAT PYRENEES MIX - SUBJECT TO CHANGE PENDING FURTHER INFORMATION.....
16) 6-27 - JOCELYN WINFREY - 53 - NEW HAVEN CT - THE WOMAN CAME TO DR. HAMILTON HICKS HOUSE APPARENTLY WITH HIM IN HIS CAR AND DROVE UP A HILL INTO THEIR YARD BY GOING THROUGH A GATE OF A HIGH WOOD FENCE THAT SURROUNDS HIS HOME. THE 2 LARGE DOGS, SAID TO BE PIT BULLS OR 1 COULD BE AMERICAN BULLDOG ??, ATTACKED HER IMMEDIATELY AND NEVER STOPPED. HICKS WAS ALSO INJURED TRYING TO CONTROL THEM AND NEIGHBORS HEARD THE SCREAMING AND ATTEMPTED TO THROW ROCKS OVER THE HIGH FENCE TO NO AVAIL. THE ATTACK HAPPENED ON JUNE 20 AND REPORTS SAY SHE LOST HER EYES, AN ARM AND SUFFERED MANY OTHER INJURIES AND WAS IN A MEDICALLY INDUCED COMA UNTIL SHE DIED 1 WEEK LATER. 17) 6-27 - SUSIE KIRBY - 3-DAYS-OLD - FRESNO CA - THE ATTACK HAPPENED ABOUT 12:30AM WHEN THE BABY'S MOTHER, 33, THOUGHT HER BROTHER'S DOGS WERE CHAINED UP IN THE BACK YARD AND SHE OPENED THE DOOR BECAUSE IT WAS SO HOT - SHE WALKED AWAY FOR A "FEW SECONDS" LEAVING THE BABY ON THE COUCH AND ONE OF THE PIT MIXES GOT TO HER ACCORDING TO THE LATEST REPORTS - BOTH OF THE 2 MALE PIT BULL/SHAR-PEI MIXES WERE SURRENDERED TO AUTHORITIES TO BE EUTHANIZED BY THE 30-YEAR-OLD BROTHER. PENDING - FRESNO COUNTY CA - APRIL 14 AND JULY 4 - VALENTE LOPEZ AGUIRRE WAS FOUND IN A DRY CANAL ON APRIL 14 AND HIS DEATH WAS DETERMINED TO BE BY DOG/ANIMAL BITES - THEN ON JULY 4 ROBERT LEE SIMONIAN, 74, WENT MISSING AND HIS BODY WAS FOUND ON JULY 5 THIS TIME IN WATER THAT WAS IN THE CANAL - AFTER THE FIRST MAN WAS FOUND 5 DOGS FROM THAT AREA WERE TAKEN INTO CUSTODY BUT AUTHORITIES WERE UNABLE TO POSITIVELY SAY THEY MAULED THE FIRST MAN AND THEY WERE GIVEN BACK TO THE OWNER - 3 WEEKS LATER MR. SIMONIAN WENT OUT TO TRAIN FOR A MOUNTAIN HIKE WITH A BACKPACK ON WITH ROCKS IN IT - HE DID NOT RETURN HOME AND WAS FOUND IN THE CANAL AND IT WAS DETERMINED HE DROWNED BUT HE WAS ALSO COVERED WITH BITE MARKS FROM DOGS/ANIMALS - THE SAME DOGS WERE TAKEN BACK INTO CUSTODY.