PHOENIX AZ - A RELATIVE'S ROTTWEILER GOT IN THROUGH AN OPENED DOOR, GRABBED A 1-YEAR-OLD BOY AND DRAGGED HIM OUTSIDE...AN OFFICER SHOT THE ROTTENMAULER TO STOP THE ATTACK BUT THE CHILD DIED FROM MASSIVE INJURIES
A 1-year-old boy died after a dog attack in a South Phoenix home.
A fire official said a grandmother was watching the child at the time of the incident. Police said she was at home doing laundry when she put down the baby boy. The woman opened a house door and the dog got inside the room the boy was in, according to police.
Officers said the dog grabbed the baby and dragged him outside.
A Phoenix police officer shot the ROTTWEILER dog to make it stop attacking the boy. The boy was taken to a local trauma center in extremely critical condition, and later pronounced dead.
Animal Control officials said the dog has been euthanized.
The attack happened around 1:20 p.m. near 24th Street and Southern Avenue, fire officials said.
According to Phoenix Fire PIO Rob McDade, the child "never stood a chance."
Marco Junior (MJ) Raya
"The amount of bites this child suffered was the reason this child succumbed to his in
jury," McDade said.
A police officer shot the dog, injuring it, when it wouldn't release the child, according to Phoenix police.
A spokesperson for Maricopa County Animal Care and Control said the Rottweiler was impounded at their Phoenix shelter after it was injured.
A 911 dispatcher walked the grandmother through several steps to try and save the child before first responders arrived, according to Phoenix fire. Those efforts included CPR.
The dog belonged to a relative of the victim.
While police didn't know of any previous incidents involving the dog, which the family had owned for three years, they are investigating the incident.
1) 1-17 LOGAN BRAATZ - 6 - ATLANTA GA - The boy was walking to his school bus stop with other children and some adults when 2 loose pit bull dogs began attacking them - It was reported that Logan was eviscerated, his friend Syrai Sanders was scalped and another child was injured - Although neighbors came running with sticks, knives and whatever they could find, the attack was deadly and swift and the dogs continued to circle and attempt to attack - The dog owner said his dogs had a fence but "SOMEHOW" got out.
2) 1-17 SKYLAR DEAN JULIUS - 2-MONTHS-OLD - SAN MARCOS TX - The father was caring for the infant girl while the mother was at work - He fell asleep for around 20 minutes and when he woke up the baby had been mauled by the family German Shepherd they had had for over 8 years and it was reported that the dog "had never shown aggression before".
3) 2-13 LOUISE HERMIDA - 75 - QUEENS NY - The elderly woman was mauled by her large dog that had been adopted almost 6 years ago. The breed is said to be a Mastiff or a Mastiff/Great Dane mix. Neighbors say as many as 10 dogs lived at the apartment. Her 39-year-old son, who has autism, attempted to put the dog in its cage and he was bitten on the leg.
4) 2-16 UNIDENTIFIED 5-YEAR-OLD BOY - CLARKSVILLE TN - Emergency personnel were called at 8:20am on a Thursday morning to a report that the Family's two English Mastiffs reported to be about 6-months-old had mauled the child. The boy died from extensive injuries.
5) 2-28 VALENTIN HERRERA - 76 - LINCOLN HEIGHTS CA - He was mauled by 2 pit bulls on February 2 while walking his small dog Dodger - Dodger was killed - He was knocked down during the attack and could have further received head injuries .......
6) 3-23 JASE PATRICK FOHS - 8-MONTHS - LUSBY CALVERT COUNTY MD - The family pit bull latched on to the child and was still attacking when officers arrived only minutes after the call - An officer had to shoot the dog to stop its mauling but the baby died.
7) 4-6 CECILLE SHORT - 82 - AND HER LITTLE DOG - OKLAHOMA CITY OK - Cecille was taking her pet dog for a walk when they were attacked by 2 large pit bulls - A passerby in a car saw the attack and called 911 - Police arrived and shot one and hit the other with their vehicle because they could not get out of their vehicle but it was too late for the victims!!! Witnesses describe the elderly woman as being almost decapitated.
8) 4-26 MAURICE BROWN - 60 - DAYTON OH - Neighbor's heard screaming and crying for help after 4am and dogs barking and began calling 911 - Police arrived and had to shoot a pit bull that apparently broke free from a chain in a backyard and attacked the man - 4 dogs were taken from the property.
9) 4-27 LISA GREEN - 32 - UPPER MACUNGIE TOWNSHIP PA - Neighbors heard the woman being attacked by her 3 1/2-year-old male pit bull/boxer mix on the rear deck of her home - They offered the dog ham and it didn't stop the attack - They hit it with a stick and it crunched the stick - Then an off-duty police chief who lived nearby was called and he shot the dog in its leg and that finally stopped the attack but the woman had suffered great blood loss and was pronounced dead at the hospital - It was reported that she had had the dog for 2 1/2 years - Neighbors reported that the dog was biting on her neck.
10) 5-1 JANE MARIE EGLE - 59- ASHEVILLE BUNCOMBE CO NC - A call was made to 911 about an aggressive dog and when deputies arrived they found Jane Egle unconscious and appeared to have animal bites - the aggressive dog would not let anyone inside the home - They finally subdued the animal and it was reported it died - Seven dogs were taken from the home - 6 Boerboels and 1 Great Pyrenees - According to a relative, her Facebook and Instagram she bred these very large aggressive dogs for sale - Behavior analysts evaluated the dogs and recommended they be put down due to their aggressiveness - But the Great Pyrenees will not be put down and it was determined it was not a threat to society. PENDING.....11) 5-7 JAMES DERLE PATTERSON - 63 - JACKSONS' GAP TALLAPOOSA COUNTY AL- Patterson was riding a small gas-powered scooter about a mile from his home on Alf Road- A caller reported the incident at 4:13pm that "dogs" had attacked a man - He was found unresponsive with wounds consistent with a dog attack and was pronounced dead at 5:37pm - He was found about 15 yards from where his scooter was found..... in the road - The road is a dead end and located in a rural secluded area - There were "beware of dog" signs posted on the property - The breed or breeds of the dogs have not been identified. 12) 5-8 KAMIKO DAO TSUDA-SAELEE - 6 MO OLD GIRL - LAS VEGAS NV - First Responders were called to a home around 1pm where a 6-month-old baby was fatally mauled by the family's pit bull they had had for 9 years - The mother was home with the baby and it was reported that she went to the bathroom and left the baby in her walker with the dog - when she returned the pit was attacking the baby and she got it off but it was too late - The child was later pronounced dead at the hospital. 13) 5-28 - SUSANNAH JEAN MURRAY- 3 WEEKS - GRAND RAPIDS MI - The infant was left inside a home sleeping with 3 pit bulls free to roam the house on the late afternoon of Thursday May 27 - An adult went inside to check on the child after a reportedly 5 minutes and found the child bitten on the head with one of the pit bulls near her with blood on its mouth - The baby underwent surgery but died on the early morning of Friday 28. 14) 6-1 - MARGARET M. COLVIN - 91 - VIRGINIA BEACH VA - The granddaughter reported that the dog was adopted from a rescue on Wednesday and was brought home and on that day the elderly grandmother was either knocked down or fell inside her bedroom and the 1-year-old 50-pound American Pit Bull Terrier mauled her in a approximately 5-minute attack - The woman died on Thursday. 15) 6-9 - MARCO JUNIOR (MJ) RAYA - 1 YEAR - PHOENIX AZ - The grandmother was caring for the child and had put him down in a bedroom - She then opened an ?outside? door and the Rottweiler came in and grabbed the baby from the room and dragged him outside - An officer arrived and shot the dog to end the attack on the baby and he was rushed to a local trauma center and was later pronounced dead from his injuries - The Rottweiler belonged to a family member. NON-BITE DOG RELATED DEATH
3-18 JOHN BRUNO - 5 - WARRINGTON TWP PA - John was playing in the snow on Wednesday, March 15, when his family looked out and saw him down on the ground with the family dog tugging at his scarf around his neck - He was unresponsive and first responders gave him CPR and he was rushed to a hospital - He died on Saturday, March 18 - Investigators report that he suffered ligature strangulation from the HOUND MIX pulling on his scarf.