An 8-month-old girl was killed in a dog attack Wednesday in Miramar, police said.
The attack was reported at a home in the 2400 block of Kingston Drive. "She was the best thing to ever happen to me," the baby's mother, Brenda Villasin, said. "We smiled every morning. She was my world."
Villasin identified her daughter as Liana Valino.
Miramar police confirmed that the infant was killed by HER FAMILY'S PIT BULL while she was in the care of her grandmother. The baby was sitting on a bouncy chair in a bedroom when she was killed, authorities said.
"This child is only 8 months old," Officer Yessenia Diaz said. "It is very difficult for the entire department and our heartfelt sympathy goes out to the entire familySky 10 was above the scene at 12:30 p.m. as authorities had the home blocked off with crime scene tape. Animal control vans were parked outside the home.
A woman was seen speaking with detectives officers.
Miramar police said the pit bull that attacked Liana is between 3 to 4 years old. It was removed from the home by the Broward County Animal Care and Adoption Division, as well as two other dogs at the home, police said.
"Children play and sometimes dogs don't understand that," one neighbor, Jackie Knapp, said.
Villasin said she drops her daughter off at the grandmother's home every day so she can go to work, but never did she think anything like this would ever happen.
"Nobody wakes up in the morning and thinks they are going to lose the person they love," Villasin said.
Villasin said she was still at work when police called her.
"When you get a call like that, you don't ask questions -- you just go. I left work right away," she said.
Neighbors stopped by the home Wednesday afternoon to drop off a teddy bear and candle in honor of Liana, which Villasin took with her.
It's unclear whether the dog that killed Liana will be euthanized.
FAMILY PIT KILLED OWNER - 1 NEIGHBOR'S 2 PITS KILLED ELDERLY PERSON WALKING - 1 NEIGHBOR'S PIT + 6 MORE DOGS KILLED WOMAN - 1
BABYSITTER'S PIT MIX KILLED 13 MO OLD GIRL - 1
FAMILY WOLF/MALAMUTE MIX KILLED 8-DAY-OLD INFANT - 1
FAMILY DOG KILLED INFANT - 1
1) 1-9 - LAURA WILLIAMS RAY - 50's - BROWNSVILLE QUACHITA PARISH LA - She died from injuries after a pit bull mauled her at the Happy Hounds pet boarding facility where she worked - A FB friend said she was cleaning a kennel around 11pm when the 50 pound pit attacked her - The owner had signed a form for the pit saying it was not aggressive and had never shown aggression - She was the mother of 4 children.
2) 1-15 - RYLEE MARIE DODGE - 3 - DUNCAN OK - Officers responded to a call of a child being attacked by a dog inside a home - The pit bull had been given to the child's father by a friend about 5 days previous and was being kept at his mother's house in a fence that went around the front yard - The young father said in a video that he had left the child with his mother to go visit his brother for about 20 minutes when he received a call about the attack - He rushed back home to find his mother laying on the pit bull to try and keep it from continuing to attack his daughter - He said that the child opened the door and the pit bull rushed in and began the attack and that there was blood all through the house - His mother was injured from trying to keep the dog off his daughter.
3) 2-15 - DAVID G. BROWN - 46 - OWENSBORO KY - At least 3 dogs were living at the home - one of the dogs tried to attack responding officers and was shot and killed - Comments on Facebook from witnesses are calling the maulers PIT BULLS - They are saying that 2 of the 3 meat grinders were involved in the attack - Apparently the victims Pits were fighting and they intervened to try and separate them - His wife Dana was injured and he died "from a heart attack due to complications from the injuries of the dog attack".
4) 3-7 - UNIDENTIFIED 8-DAY-OLD INFANT GIRL - LEE COUNTY VA - Sheriff Gary Parsons confirmed that about 11:46am Wednesday a large Shepherd type dog mauled an 8-day-old girl in her bassinet and she suffered extensive injuries to her upper body - A family member first drove her to Lonesome Pine Hospital in Big Stone Gap - From there she was taken to Kingsport and then flown to UT Medical Center where she died about 4pm - Another news report said the dog was a "Mixed Breed - Then the final word came that the animal that killed the 8-day-old infant in her bassinet was a male 3/1/2 year old WOLF/MALAMUTE MIX.
5) 3-9 - LOXLI WILLOW CHAVEZ - 13 MONTH OLD GIRL - CAPE GIRARDEAU MISSOURI - Babysitter's male Pit Bull Mix said to be around 40 pounds mauled the toddler to death - Cape Girardeau Police Facebook comments are about the only information coming out - Even the gofundme site tells us nothing but the baby's name.
6) 5-5 - GAIA NOVA - 3 MONTHS - SHERMAN OAKS AREA OF LOS ANGELES CA - A grandmother was caring for the infant when she was mauled on her head - It was reported that she went to make a bottle for the baby and one of the 3 family dogs got to her - The dogs are said to be a ROTTWEILER, a LABRADOR, and a 10 POUND TERRIER - No word yet on which dog attacked the baby.
7) 5 -10/11 - TRACY GARCIA - 52 - CARTER COUNTY OK - Neighbor's 7 dogs - A pit bull and 6 other smaller mixed dogs mauled the woman in her own yard ....
8) 5-16 - GEORGIA RUTH MORGAN - 75 - GULFPORT MS - The elderly woman often walked and picked up cans for money to donate to her church - A neighbor's 2 pit bulls mauled her when she opened the dilapidated fence gate and she was dead before officers arrived. 9) 5-24 - GUAGE ALLEN ECKENRODE - 6- LAKEMONT BLAIR CO PA - THE FAMILY PIT BULL .... 10) 5-30 - LIANA VALINO - 8 MONTHS - MIRAMAR FLORIDA - THE FAMILY PIT BULL AT GRANDMOTHER'S HOUSE .....