Tuesday, May 29, 2018


A dog was shot and killed after attacking a young boy in the Juniata section of Philadelphia Monday afternoon.

The  PIT BULL  attacked a 4-year-old son of its owner in an alley on the 4600 block of Shelbourne Street shortly before 3 p.m. 

Several neighbors tried to use sticks and a weedwacker to get the dog off of the boy.

"It bit his neck and took half of his skin off," Adrian Rodriguez, a witness, told NBC10.  "A lot of skin off and he was bleeding a lot."   We saw a lot of people hit him with the weedwacker and everything else to stop him."

The pit bull eventually let the boy go and was trapped behind the home, police said. A neighbor then got a gun, witnesses said. "He pulled his gun out, shot the dog, ran back inside someone's house, then changed his shirt," Hadi Bsharat, another witness, said.

The dog died from its injuries. The boy was taken to St. Christopher’s Hospital for children where he was listed in stable condition. The boy's mother called authorities. Responding officers took the man who killed the dog into custody.


While officers walked him to a cruiser, the unidentified man said he thought killing the dog would help the child.  

Rodriguez told NBC10 he saw the family pet often but never saw the dog act violently prior to Monday's incident.

"If someone would go through, like a car or anything, he would just bark at it every single time," Rodriguez said. "They trusted the dog but guess they thought wrong."


A 4-year-old boy was hospitalized after being attacked by his family dog who was later shot and killed on Memorial Day, according to Philadelphia Police.
Police said at about 2:40 p.m. on Monday, May 28 they were called to the 4600 block of Shelbourne Street and found the victim's mother who told them her 4-year-old son was attacked by the family dog.
The boy suffered injuries to his face, ear, shoulder, back, and abdomen, according to police.
The mother told police she tried to get the dog separated from the boy and was able to leave it trapped in the back yard, police said.
While back inside the house the mother heard a loud noise and saw the dog laying motionless in the back yard, according to police. The dog later died.
Medics rushed the boy to St. Christopher's Hospital for Children where he is listed in stable condition, police said.
Police took the man who shot the dog into custody but released him without charges.
(KYW/CNN) – A young boy in Philadelphia was hospitalized and a man arrested after a family dog attacked the boy and the man shot it, police say.
According to police, a 4-year-old boy suffered bites to his body Monday afternoon when a dog attacked and dragged him across the yard.
“He bit most of his skin off, and his neck looks very bad,” witness Adrian Rodriguez said.
Several neighbors reportedly tried to intervene, hitting the dog with sticks, a weed wacker and other objects, but the dog didn't stop until the 4-year-old was ....

The boy was transported to an area hospital, where he’s listed in stable condition.
"Once the dog let go of the child, HE WAS ALL HAPPY.  HIS TAIL WAGGED, and then, a person came out and just shot the dog," Adrian said."
Police say an unidentified man shot and killed the dog, and he was taken into custody.
“I think I would have done the same if it was my child,” witness Hadi Bashart said.
The man told reporters he was just trying to protect the neighborhood and that he’s sorry he couldn’t shoot the dog earlier in the attack.
“He did a good thing, like he said, he was keeping the neighborhood safe. If nobody came out and did that to that dog, imagine that dog going home. He’s going to do it again to somebody else,” neighbor Ejunior Elysseee said.
It’s unclear if charges have been filed against the shooter.


Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, 'civilians' are getting the point. Animal-won't-Control is likely to return killer dogs to owners so neighbors have to help themselves.

Dayna said...

I really hope any and all charges against the shooter are dropped. That man probably has children at home as well and is afraid for them. The owner of the pit would most likely want to keep it, the shooter did everyone a favor.