ARCATA CA - HUMBOLDT COUNTY CORONER'S OFFICE REPORTS THAT DONALD STEELE, 91, WAS FATALLY MAULED IN A DOG ATTACK ON JUNE 25
An Arcata dog is being held in quarantine at the Humboldt County Animal Shelter for the time being, following a rampaging attack on two people Monday morning at the Town & Country Mobile Villa off Giuntoli Lane in Arcata.
The incident took placejust before 11 a.m. on the 4900 block of Sierra Way, inside the park, and prompted a large response from police and paramedics. The dispatcher’s log of the call reads: “[Reporting party] screaming into the phone about a dog attack, and that someone needs medical, just kept screaming hurry.”
First responders at the scene referred to the incident as a “mauling,” and quickly called for another ambulance for an additional patient. One of the patients was believed to have “critical” injuries, and the other had “moderate” injuries, according to emergency radio traffic at the time.
Lt. Bart Silvers of the Arcata Police Department told theOutpost today that both of the victims were adults, and that at least one of them is the dog’s owner. He didn’t have any updated information about their condition, but he confirmed that his officers captured the dog and took it to the animal shelter.The dog is still there as of today, and is in a quarantined area of the shelter while it is determined whether or not it is rabid, according to Andre Hale, the shelter’s manager.
Hale, reached this afternoon, says it hasn’t yet been determined what will happen with the animal. (She would only characterize it as a "MIXED-BREED" dog.) In such cases, she said, the owner has 10 days to request the return of the pet or surrender it to the custody of the police. If that doesn’t happen, the shelter would take custody. Either the shelter or the police agency would determine if the dog must be destroyed, which is usually the case when a dog severely injures a human. Hale expects this to be the case, though the shelter doesn’t have a timetable at present. “Generally speaking, if the dog attacks the owner, the owner doesn’t want the dog back,” she said.
(KIEM) – From the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office:
The Humboldt County Coroner’s Office has identified the victim of a fatal dog attack on June 25, 2018 in Arcata as 91-year-old Donald Steele. Steele’s cause of death has been determined to be from injuries consistent with a dog attack. His manner of death has been determined as accidental.
Humboldt County Animal Control took possession of the dog following the incident. The dog was euthanized June 28 following orders from the Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services. The dog tested negative for rabies.
The Arcata Police Department is investigating this incident. All inquiries related to this case should be directed to the Arcata Police Department at (707) 822-2428
2018 DOG BITE RELATED FATALITIES - 10 (5 children -5 adults)
PIT BULL - 4 (KY, LA,OK, MS) PIT BULL AND 6 OTHER DOGS (7 DOGS) (OK) - 1
PIT BULL MIX - 1 (MO)
WOLF/MALAMUTE MIX - 1 (VA) GERMAN SHEPHERD - 1 (GA)
3 DOGS IN HOME - ROTTWEILER, LABRADOR OR TERRIER - CA - 1
UNIDENTIFIED BREED - 1 (ARCATA CA) CA - 2 GA - 1
KY - 1
LA - 1 MS - 1
MO - 1
OK - 2
VA - 1
BOARDING PIT KILLED KENNEL WORKER - 1
ADOPTED PIT KILLED CHILD - 1
FAMILY PIT KILLED OWNER - 1 NEIGHBOR'S 2 PITS KILLED ELDERLY PERSON WALKING - 1 NEIGHBOR'S PIT + 6 MORE DOGS KILLED WOMAN - 1
BABYSITTER'S PIT MIX KILLED 13 MO OLD GIRL - 1 BABYSITTER'S GERMAN SHEPHERD KILLED 5-MO-OLD GIRL - 1
FAMILY WOLF/MALAMUTE MIX KILLED 8-DAY-OLD INFANT - 1
FAMILY DOG KILLED INFANT - 1 BREED NOT IDENTIFIED -VERY ELDERLY PERSON AGE 91
1) 1-9 - LAURA WILLIAMS RAY - 50's - BROWNSVILLE QUACHITA PARISH LA - She died from injuries after a pit bull mauled her at the Happy Hounds pet boarding facility where she worked - A FB friend said she was cleaning a kennel around 11pm when the 50 pound pit attacked her - The owner had signed a form for the pit saying it was not aggressive and had never shown aggression - She was the mother of 4 children.
2) 1-15 - RYLEE MARIE DODGE - 3 - DUNCAN OK - Officers responded to a call of a child being attacked by a dog inside a home - The pit bull had been given to the child's father by a friend about 5 days previous and was being kept at his mother's house in a fence that went around the front yard - The young father said in a video that he had left the child with his mother to go visit his brother for about 20 minutes when he received a call about the attack - He rushed back home to find his mother laying on the pit bull to try and keep it from continuing to attack his daughter - He said that the child opened the door and the pit bull rushed in and began the attack and that there was blood all through the house - His mother was injured from trying to keep the dog off his daughter.
3) 2-15 - DAVID G. BROWN - 46 - OWENSBORO KY - At least 3 dogs were living at the home - one of the dogs tried to attack responding officers and was shot and killed - Comments on Facebook from witnesses are calling the maulers PIT BULLS - They are saying that 2 of the 3 meat grinders were involved in the attack - Apparently the victims Pits were fighting and they intervened to try and separate them - His wife Dana was injured and he died "from a heart attack due to complications from the injuries of the dog attack".
4) 3-7 - UNIDENTIFIED 8-DAY-OLD INFANT GIRL - LEE COUNTY VA - Sheriff Gary Parsons confirmed that about 11:46am Wednesday a large Shepherd type dog mauled an 8-day-old girl in her bassinet and she suffered extensive injuries to her upper body - A family member first drove her to Lonesome Pine Hospital in Big Stone Gap - From there she was taken to Kingsport and then flown to UT Medical Center where she died about 4pm - Another news report said the dog was a "Mixed Breed - Then the final word came that the animal that killed the 8-day-old infant in her bassinet was a male 3/1/2 year old WOLF/MALAMUTE MIX.
5) 3-9 - LOXLI WILLOW CHAVEZ - 13 MONTH OLD GIRL - CAPE GIRARDEAU MISSOURI - Babysitter's male Pit Bull Mix said to be around 40 pounds mauled the toddler to death - Cape Girardeau Police Facebook comments are about the only information coming out - Even the gofundme site tells us nothing but the baby's name.
6) 5-5 - GAIA NOVA - 3 MONTHS - SHERMAN OAKS AREA OF LOS ANGELES CA - A grandmother was caring for the infant when she was mauled on her head - It was reported that she went to make a bottle for the baby and one of the 3 family dogs got to her - The dogs are said to be a ROTTWEILER, a LABRADOR, and a 10 POUND TERRIER - No word yet on which dog attacked the baby. 7) 5 -10/11 - TRACY GARCIA - 52 - CARTER COUNTY OK - Neighbor's 7 dogs - A pit bull and 6 other smaller mixed dogs mauled the woman in her own yard .... 8) 5-16 - GEORGIA RUTH MORGAN - 75 - GULFPORT MS - The elderly woman often walked and picked up cans for money to donate to her church - A neighbor's 2 pit bulls mauled her when she opened the dilapidated fence gate and she was dead before officers arrived. 9) 6-13 - PAIGE BRADLEY - 5-MONTH-OLD GIRL - CLAYTON COUNTY GEORGIA - A friend/babysitter's German Shepherd mauled her to death while she was sleeping on a bed in a separate bedroom. 10) 6-25 - DONALD STEELE - 91 - ARCATA CA -