LAYTON UT - A HUSKY RIPPED A 4-YEAR-OLD BOY'S HAND AND ARM OFF AND PROBABLY ATE IT ...PARENTS SAY THE DOG PUT ITS HEAD UNDER THE VINYL FENCE AND ATTEMPTED TO PULL THE CHILD BACK UNDER THE FENCE
LAYTON — The mother of a young boy who had his hand bitten off by a dog thanked the community for an outpouring of love and support.
But Hope Brown provided on Facebook a different account of the events than what fire crews originally reported.
On Sunday, a husky bit off the hand of a 4-year-old boy at his home near 1100 North and 3600 West in Layton. The boy's hand was not recovered and was believed to be ingested by the dog.
Layton Fire Battalion Chief Jason Cook said the boy had a sock on his hand and was trying to play with the dog through a fence.
But according to Brown, it was the husky that "went under our fence and bit Austin’s hand and then attempted to pull him back under the fence. Our baby lost his arm from the elbow down because it was ingested by the dog. He has multiple other bites up as well as severe bruising on his face and jaw, and a black eye."
Brown said her family was "struggling" and Austin has had at least three surgeries since Sunday.
"We can use all the prayers, support and help we can get," she wrote.
"We’re asking for donations to help during Austin’s hospital stay so we can be with our baby. He’s going to be here a little while longer. Any other donations will go toward helping Austin and our family during this time and hopefully getting a prosthetic in the future. He will need one from the elbow down," she said in the post.
The family posted a PayPal link for donations at PayPal.me/littlemansrecovery. Neighbors have also set up a charitable account at Goldenwest Credit Union, accepting donations under "Superman's Army."
The husky, along with a second husky that was also in the yard, were being held Friday by animal control officers. They will be quarantined for 10 days at the Davis County Animal Care and Control facility. After that time, a judge will decide whether the dogs will be returned to the owner or be euthanized.
An online petition to save the two dogs, named Polar and Bear, was started Wednesday and has already received more than 180,000 signatures.
A dog bit off the hand of a 4-year-old Utah boy after he stuck his arm underneath a fence to try to play with the animal, authorities said Monday.
The boy had a sock on his arm when he put it in a gap between the ground and a solid vinyl fence in his backyard Sunday, Layton Fire Battalion Chief Jason Cook said. The HUSKY bit off the boy’s entire hand and 2 to 3 inches of his arm, Cook said.
The boy’s father tried to limit the bleeding and comfort his son until emergency workers arrived. A helicopter flew the boy to a hospital in Salt Lake City, where he had surgery, Cook said. He’s doing well and is expected to survive, officials said.
Authorities couldn’t find his hand and are almost certain the dog ingested it, he said.
Medical personnel and animal control officials briefly considered putting down the dog to retrieve the hand for reattachment, but the surgeon determined that wasn’t a viable option, Cook said.
The husky will be quarantined for 10 days, said Rhett Nicks, director for Davis County Animal Care and Control. Officials have not determined if the dog will be put down or listed as a dangerous dog, he said, with an investigation underway.
It was the animal’s first reported bite, Cook said. Animal control was holding another husky that lives at the house but wasn’t involved.
It’s not known if the dog owners will face consequences. The dogs were properly fenced in at the house in a neighborhood in Layton, a city of about 80,000 residents about 25 miles (40 kilometers) north of Salt Lake City, Cook said. Both families had recently moved in, he said.
Cook said he doesn’t know if the boy was right-handed or not but that he should be able to adapt because he’s so young.
“He’ll kind of grow into his dexterity,” Cook said. “But it’s certainly life-changing. It’s just a sad turn of events for the young, little guy.”
Last year, a 17-month-old girl in Wiscasset, Maine, was severely injured when her baby sitter’s boxer bit her face after she touched its back. The 8-year-old dog was taken in for a 10-day quarantine following the mauling.
This story has been corrected to show it was a solid vinyl fence, not a chain-link fence.