A 14-year-old Massachusetts boy who was mauled to death by dogs on Thursday night has been identified.
Authorities said Ryan Hazel, of Rehoboth, was found dead at a property at 2477 Maple Swamp Rd. in Dighton by police responding to a 911 call for a pack of dogs attacking a human shortly before 8 p.m.
"Last night we had a tragic situation happen in town here where a young teenage boy lost his life. Things like that should never happen to anybody, never mind a 14-year-old boy," said Dighton Police Chief Robert MacDonald. "It's a very, very sad thing."
Bristol County District Attorney Thomas Quinn III said the boy was at the property to take care of several dogs kept there when he was attacked. He said the boy's grandmother drove him to the property around 6 p.m. to take care of the animals while the homeowner was in Boston, something he had been doing regularly for about a year.
The boy's grandmother said it usually took him about 30 to 45 minutes to complete his tasks, so when he didn't return to the car for over an hour, she contacted his parents, who called a neighbor to come check on him.
Quinn said the neighbor went to the property and found Hazel lying on the ground in the rear yard suffering from "traumatic injuries" to various areas of his body.
"This is clearly a tragedy for the victim, his family, his friends and the town. My heart goes out to all of them," said Quinn.
The neighbor also found four dogs -- three DUTCH SHEPHERDS and one BELGIAN MALINOIS -- in the yard and put them in the basement. Seven other dogs on the property are believed to have been caged. Quinn said the dogs were not licensed. The neighbor called 911 and attempted to perform CPR, but the boy's injuries were too severe. He was later pronounced dead at the scene.
"It does not appear that any foul play is suspected," Quinn said.
All 11 dogs were later taken into custody by animal control and will be quarantined for up to 10 days, according to Massachusetts law. Quinn said it will be up to Dighton town officials to decide if any of the animals will be put down.
The boy's death remains under investigation by state and local police. An autopsy is scheduled to be conducted.
The owner of the dogs, 49-year-old Scott Dunmore, was contacted shortly after the incident and returned home from Boston. Quinn said Dunmore has been cooperating with the investigation. So far, no criminal charges have been filed.
A man who did restoration work on the property told NBC10 Boston that Dunmore trains animals.
Police said no previous incidents had been reported at the property, but there was a fire there in February.
Neighbors say they're concerned after seeing the dogs off leash in the past.
"There's been a few situations where she was approached by a few dogs kind of running at her and then stopped at the last second," neighbor Benjamin Caron said describing how the dogs approached a family member. "Just an awful, awful situation I would never expect that to happen on my street."
Hazel was a freshman at Bristol-Plymouth Regional Technical School in Taunton. Grief counselors were on hand Friday to help his classmates cope with the tragedy.
"It's pretty sad, I mean I feel like crying now because of what happened," said student Marcus Hodge.
"A lot of kids you could tell were really hit hard, even teachers hit hard by it," added student Jacob Edwards. "They had the lecture hall filled with kids. If they needed to they didn't have to go to class if they couldn't deal with it, BP actually helped pretty well for what they could do.
Antonio Silva said Hazel was in some of his classes.
"I had him in a couple of my shop exploratories. He was a good kid from what I know," said Silva.
According to classmates, Hazel was a member of the school's football team.
"It is with a heavy heart that we have heard the news of the tragic dath of a Rehoboth teenager," the school district said in a statement. "Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this time."
PIT BULL AND A SHEPHERD MIX - 1 (TX) ROTTWEILER - 1 (NV) 2 ROTTWEILERS - 1 (CA) 6 GERMAN SHEPHERDS - 1 (TN) GERMAN SHEPHERD/BLUE TICK HOUND MIXES? - 1 (MS)
2 DOBERMAN PINSCHERS - 1 (TX)
3 DOGS: MIXED BREED INCLUDING A HEELER/MASTIFF MIX -1 (TX) 4 DOGS: 3 DUTCH SHEPHERDS AND 1 BELGIAN MALINOIS -1 (MA)
TX - 5 CA - 2 FL - 2 KY - 2 MA - 1
MS - 1 NC - 1 NV - 1 SC - 1 TN - 1
1) 1-9 - Dianne Reves - 70 - Grenada County MS - A total of 7 dogs were taken into custody - The Sheriff's Department reported she suffered about several hundred dog bites - Facebook posts from a neighbor shows the dogs were GERMAN SHEPHERD/BLUE TICK HOUND MIX.
2) 1-21 - Ed Stanley - 85 - Amarillo, Potter County TX - He was severely mauled over his entire body by a PIT BULL AND A SHEPHERD MIX on his driveway - A passerby came to his aid but he died 2 weeks later - http://www.dogsbitedecatural.com/2019/01/amarillo-tx-85-year-old-man-suffered.html
3) 2-7 - Ashton McGhee - 1 - Guthrie KY - The 1-year-old baby boy lived in Hopkinsville KY and was visiting his grandparents' home when one of the family dogs came in from outside and attacked him - The Chief of Police said the PIT BULL MIX may have been spooked by a thunderstorm and then spooked again by the ball the child was playing with - "IT'S AN UNFORTUNATE FREAK ACCIDENT".
4) 2-8 - Elaine Richman - Houston TX - She owned two DOBERMAN PINSCHERS that she trained as show dogs - She was found dead in her backyard with bite marks over her face and body.
5) 2-15 - Angela Johnson - 54 - Anza Riverside County CA - On Dec 15, 2018, she was hanging out clothes on a line in her yard when a neighbor's 3 pit bulls mauled her - A main artery was bitten into on her neck and she suffered a severe stroke - She remained in a coma and died on Feb 9, 2019. 6) 2-21 - Nancy Burgess-Dismuke - 52 - Greenville SC - She was playing in her yard with 2 of her dogs said to be BOXER MIXES - Neighbors heard her screaming and at first thought they were just playing, then realized they were mauling her - several men came running and hit the dogs with various things but the tiny woman had lost so much blood from her upper extremities ... "one arm was hanging and the other was bitten off!!!" 7) 2-26 - Bessie Jill Peterson - 88 - Pall Mall Pickett County TN - She was airlifted to Vanderbilt Medical Center after being mauled around 5pm by a neighbor's dogs - 6 GERMAN SHEPHERDS - Her sister, who was in the home with her, says that she went outside to check on a drainage ditch and the flooding in her yard when the dogs attacked - She tried to help her sister but the dogs chased her back in. 8) 2-27 - Johnnie Mae Garner - 88 - Lubbock TX - Family members believe that the neighbor's dogs were trying to get to her dog in her backyard and she was trying to scare them away when they mauled her. 9) 3 -5 - Jacari Long - 6 Months -Salisbury NC - The child's babysitter had gone outside to the car to clean off a seat for the baby boy when she heard her mother scream and ran inside to fine her ?PIT BULL/BOXER MIX? mauling him - He was taken to a local hospital then airlifted to Winston Salem where he was pronounced dead. 10) 3-8 - 2-Year-Old Boy - High Springs Alachua Co FL - While in the care of his grandmother who was who was letting out large dogs at his aunt's house - 2 of the dogs mauled the boy - He was pronounced dead at the scene and the grandmother was injured trying to save him - 6 dogs were taken from the home - They were adopted dogs from Rescues and appear to be Boxer/Pit mix, and various mixed breeds and a large Dogo Argentino - The 2 dogs that killed the baby were an American Staffordshire Terrier (Pit Bull) and an American Bulldog. 11) 3-13 - Jimmy Lee Grigg - 53 - Galveston County TX - The Sheriff said he was fatally mauled by 3 dogs owned by a relative on the Grigg's property and he said the dogs were MIXED BREED INCLUDING ONE HEELER/MASTIFF MIX - Cause of death was from blood loss - His brother was the one that called 911 for help - A neighbor reported that she had called animal control several times because it sounded like dogs fighting on the property. 12) 3-22 - Jaysiah Chavez - 2 - Fresno CA - Apparently the child was in the care of his grandparents when he went into the front yard - Other children ran in to tell the grandmother that dogs had the child - She tried to get the 2 Rottweilers away and save him, as did the grandpa, but he died from the injuries. 13) 3-23 - Johana Villafane - 33 - Irving TX - She was visiting her 2 Pit Bulls that were quarantined at O'Connor Animal Hospital for biting someone earlier in the month - Someone noticed her lying unconscious outside in an exercize area - Responders could not get to her because of the viciousness of the meat grinders so police shot them - She was taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries and later pronounced dead. 14) 4-27 - Kyna Marie Pamela Deshane - 15-Months - Henderson NV - The child was fatally mauled by a 4-year-old Rottweiler owned by a family friend while she was at her grandfather's house - She was rushed to Henderson Hospital with Life-Threatening injuries and was pronounced dead there. 15) 5-2 - Isaiah Geiling - 2 to 3-year-old boy - Louisville KY - A woman ran from the small house in the Chickasaw Neighborhood to a next door neighbor saying a Pit Bull was attacking a child - Two men ran and began attempting to get the very vicious large dog off the child who was laying face down in pools of blood and barely breathing - He was rushed to a hospital but died from the massive injuries - It is now being reported that the Monster had attacked him before. 16) 5-9 - Christine Liquori - Fort Pierce St. Lucie County FL - The volunteer was found dead inside a fenced play area at the Humane Society of St. Lucie County - Fort Pierce FL - A medical examiner ruled that she died from severe blood loss due to dog bites. 17) 5-9 - Ryan Hazel - 14 - Dighton Bristol County MA - The teen's grandmother had driven him to his job at Scott Dunmore's house where he took care of about 11 dogs when Dunmore was in Boston - This usually took him about 45 minutes - When he did not return to his Grandmother's car, she called neighbors who came and found him severely mauled in the backyard - 4 dogs were loose and 7 were caged up ...3 Dutch Shepherds and 1 Belgian Malinois. PENDING: 1-24-19 - Patricia Henson - 8-Months-Old - Tucson AZ - She was found dead with a dog near her - Severely and Catastrophically Mauled - An autopsy report of 3 bags of stomach contents showed baby teeth and skeletal fragments - A neighbor reported seeing a German Shepherd taken from the home - Her mother, Breanna Henson was arrested and charged with child abuse - more later..... 2-15-19 - Brenda Hamilton - 77 - Pantego Beaufort County NC - She was attacked around 6am on Friday morning on Indian Run Road - Canine DNA was found on her - Investigators are collecting DNA from "canines" in the area to find which animal horribly and fatally mauled her ..... https://www.witn.com/content/news/Deputies-unable-to-determine-what-type-of-canine-killed-elderly-teacher-509386211.html?fbclid=IwAR1cBLzVxXT2LX7ZwKU3eA-V1NtzSUSC6FgikC4praBt7s6H7U3VNK1F0DM