(WDRB) – A 2-year-old boy has died after police say he was attacked by a dog in Louisville's Chickasaw neighborhood.
According to Louisville Metro Police Officer Lamont Washington, officers were sent to Grand Avenue, near South 38th Street, around 12 p.m. after someone reported that a child had been bitten by a dog.
When officers arrived, they found the 2-year-old child and began performing CPR.
The boy was rushed to Norton Children's Hospital, with LMPD shutting down streets in order to aid the transport.
Police say the boy died as a result of his injuries.
Neighbors initially jumped into action in an attempt to help. Shelby Chadwell lives next door and said a woman ran up and started pounding on his door Thursday morning. She was begging for help for the little boy in the house.
Chadwell and his cousin ran into the house and found the dog on top of the child.
"It was a ferocious dog," Chadwell said. "And we had to get the dog out of the room. So my cousin used sticks and bashed them together and scared the dog away. And we put the dresser in the hallway to block the dog off and get out of there."
Chadwell had a difficult time retelling how it happened and said seeing the little boy was devastating. He was barely breathing on the floor, a lot of blood, face down," he said. "It was the worst. It's not something I want to relive."
Lt. Emily McKinley said homicide detectives are required to investigate all deaths. For this case, they will investigate if anyone needs to be charged or if this was a tragic accident. She said it is still not clear what might have triggered the dog, and she said it is still not clear how many times the dog bit the child.
McKinley said it was a difficult and upsetting scene for everyone involved, including the family, EMS workers, firefighters, neighbors and police.
"I know a lot of people are pretty shook up having to go through that and experience that, including our officers," she said. "I know several of our officers performed CPR on the child."
A neighbor, who did not want to go on camera or provide a name, said that this is not the first time that dog has triggered safety concerns. The neighbor said the dog is aggressive and has jumped his fence before trying to get into other yards.
It will be up to the Commonwealth's Attorney Office to file any charges in the future.
Louisville Metro Animal Services will quarantine the dog for 10 days, according to city ordinance. LMAS Spokeswoman Teeya Barnes wrote in an email that the policy then requires the animal to be evaluated and its background to be reviewed. Barnes said the animal will be put down immediately following the 10-day quarantine if it is declared a "potential dangerous animal."
PIT BULL AND A SHEPHERD MIX - 1 (TX) ROTTWEILER - 1 (NV) 2 ROTTWEILERS - 1 (CA) 6 GERMAN SHEPHERDS - 1 (TN) GERMAN SHEPHERD/BLUE TICK HOUND MIXES? - 1 (MS)
2 DOBERMAN PINSCHERS - 1 (TX)
3 DOGS: MIXED BREED INCLUDING A HEELER/MASTIFF MIX -1 (TX)
TX - 5 CA - 2 FL - 1 KY - 2
MS - 1 NC - 1 NV - 1 SC - 1 TN - 1
1) 1-9 - Dianne Reves - 70 - Grenada County MS - A total of 7 dogs were taken into custody - The Sheriff's Department reported she suffered about several hundred dog bites - Facebook posts from a neighbor shows the dogs were GERMAN SHEPHERD/BLUE TICK HOUND MIX.
2) 1-21 - Ed Stanley - 85 - Amarillo, Potter County TX - He was severely mauled over his entire body by a PIT BULL AND A SHEPHERD MIX on his driveway - A passerby came to his aid but he died 2 weeks later - http://www.dogsbitedecatural.com/2019/01/amarillo-tx-85-year-old-man-suffered.html
3) 2-7 - Ashton McGhee - 1 - Guthrie KY - The 1-year-old baby boy lived in Hopkinsville KY and was visiting his grandparents' home when one of the family dogs came in from outside and attacked him - The Chief of Police said the PIT BULL MIX may have been spooked by a thunderstorm and then spooked again by the ball the child was playing with - "IT'S AN UNFORTUNATE FREAK ACCIDENT".
4) 2-8 - Elaine Richman - Houston TX - She owned two DOBERMAN PINSCHERS that she trained as show dogs - She was found dead in her backyard with bite marks over her face and body.
5) 2-15 - Angela Johnson - 54 - Anza Riverside County CA - On Dec 15, 2018, she was hanging out clothes on a line in her yard when a neighbor's 3 pit bulls mauled her - A main artery was bitten into on her neck and she suffered a severe stroke - She remained in a coma and died on Feb 9, 2019. 6) 2-21 - Nancy Burgess-Dismuke - 52 - Greenville SC - She was playing in her yard with 2 of her dogs said to be BOXER MIXES - Neighbors heard her screaming and at first thought they were just playing, then realized they were mauling her - several men came running and hit the dogs with various things but the tiny woman had lost so much blood from her upper extremities ... "one arm was hanging and the other was bitten off!!!" 7) 2-26 - Bessie Jill Peterson - 88 - Pall Mall Pickett County TN - She was airlifted to Vanderbilt Medical Center after being mauled around 5pm by a neighbor's dogs - 6 GERMAN SHEPHERDS - Her sister, who was in the home with her, says that she went outside to check on a drainage ditch and the flooding in her yard when the dogs attacked - She tried to help her sister but the dogs chased her back in. 8) 2-27 - Johnnie Mae Garner - 88 - Lubbock TX - Family members believe that the neighbor's dogs were trying to get to her dog in her backyard and she was trying to scare them away when they mauled her. 9) 3 -5 - Jacari Long - 6 Months -Salisbury NC - The child's babysitter had gone outside to the car to clean off a seat for the baby boy when she heard her mother scream and ran inside to fine her ?PIT BULL/BOXER MIX? mauling him - He was taken to a local hospital then airlifted to Winston Salem where he was pronounced dead. 10) 3-8 - 2-Year-Old Boy - High Springs Alachua Co FL - While in the care of his grandmother who was who was letting out large dogs at his aunt's house - 2 of the dogs mauled the boy - He was pronounced dead at the scene and the grandmother was injured trying to save him - 6 dogs were taken from the home - They were adopted dogs from Rescues and appear to be Boxer/Pit mix, and various mixed breeds and a large Dogo Argentino - The 2 dogs that killed the baby were an American Staffordshire Terrier (Pit Bull) and an American Bulldog. 11) 3-13 - Jimmy Lee Grigg - 53 - Galveston County TX - The Sheriff said he was fatally mauled by 3 dogs owned by a relative on the Grigg's property and he said the dogs were MIXED BREED INCLUDING ONE HEELER/MASTIFF MIX - Cause of death was from blood loss - His brother was the one that called 911 for help - A neighbor reported that she had called animal control several times because it sounded like dogs fighting on the property. 12) 3-22 - Jaysiah Chavez - 2 - Fresno CA - Apparently the child was in the care of his grandparents when he went into the front yard - Other children ran in to tell the grandmother that dogs had the child - She tried to get the 2 Rottweilers away and save him, as did the grandpa, but he died from the injuries. 13) 3-23 - Johana Villafane - 33 - Irving TX - She was visiting her 2 Pit Bulls that were quarantined at O'Connor Animal Hospital for biting someone earlier in the month - Someone noticed her lying unconscious outside in an exercize area - Responders could not get to her because of the viciousness of the meat grinders so police shot them - She was taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries and later pronounced dead. 14) 4-27 - Kyna Marie Pamela Deshane - 15-Months - Henderson NV - The child was fatally mauled by a 4-year-old Rottweiler owned by a family friend while she was at her grandfather's house - She was rushed to Henderson Hospital with Life-Threatening injuries and was pronounced dead there. 15) 5-2 - Isaiah Geiling - 2 to 3-year-old boy - Louisville KY - A woman ran from the small house in the Chickasaw Neighborhood to a next door neighbor saying a Pit Bull was attacking a child - Two men ran and began attempting to get the very vicious large dog off the child who was laying face down in pools of blood and barely breathing - He was rushed to a hospital but died from the massive injuries - It is now being reported that the Monster had attacked him before. PENDING: 1-24-19 - Patricia Henson - 8-Months-Old - Tucson AZ - She was found dead with a dog near her - Severely and Catastrophically Mauled - An autopsy report of 3 bags of stomach contents showed baby teeth and skeletal fragments - A neighbor reported seeing a German Shepherd taken from the home - Her mother, Breanna Henson was arrested and charged with child abuse - more later..... 2-15-19 - Brenda Hamilton - 77 - Pantego Beaufort County NC - She was attacked around 6am on Friday morning on Indian Run Road - Canine DNA was found on her - Investigators are collecting DNA from "canines" in the area to find which animal horribly and fatally mauled her ..... https://www.witn.com/content/news/Deputies-unable-to-determine-what-type-of-canine-killed-elderly-teacher-509386211.html?fbclid=IwAR1cBLzVxXT2LX7ZwKU3eA-V1NtzSUSC6FgikC4praBt7s6H7U3VNK1F0DM