ORO GRANDE, Ca. – The five-year-old boy killed by a family dog has been identified as Sterling Ver Meer, of Oro Grande.
Family members said the Sterling was playing when an adult family member who was caring for him quickly stepped out to get a game controller for him. As they stepped out he was left with “Thor”, an approximately 12-year-old male Pit Bull. Within seconds, Thor, who was described as a family dog who never displayed aggression before began attacking Sterling, grabbing his neck.
(child with a different family dog) When the family member returned, they attempted to free the small child but Thor would not let go and Sterling died at the scene as a result of his injuries.
The incident occurred at the home that Sterling lived in, which is located in the 15100 block of Portland Street in Oro Grande. The dog was turned over to San Bernardino County Animal Control officers.
Anyone with information regarding this crime is urged to contact Detective J. Collins at Victor Valley Sheriff’s Station, (760) 552-6800. Persons wishing to remain anonymous can report information to WeTip by calling 1-800-78-CRIME, or by accessing the website at www.wetip.com.
A 5-year-old child was killed in a dog attack at a home in Oro Grande, an unincorporated community in the Mojave Desert of San Bernardino County, Monday afternoon, authorities say.
Deputies responded to the 15100 block of Portland Street just before 3 p.m. and located an unresponsive child suffering from significant injuries, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department said.
The child was in the back portion of the house with a family dog at the time of the attack, according to authorities. It appears the dog involved may have been a pit bull, according to reports from the scene, but authorities have yet to officially identify the type of dog that was involved in the attack.
It was not immediately clear what happened to the dog once law enforcement arrived on scene.
No further details were immediately known. The investigation is ongoing.
This is a developing news story. Check back for updated information.
2020 DOG BITE RELATED FATALITIES - 6 (3 adults + 3 children )
PIT BULL - 5 PACK OF DOGS - 1
CA - 1 (6) IN - 1 (4) KY - 1 (1) MS - 1 (5) NM - 1 (2)
OH - 1 (3)
Family Pit Killed 5-yr-old in home Family's Pit Killed Infant in Bedroom Friend's Pit Killed Man in his own Yard Relative's Pit Killed Elderly Man Sitting in Wheelchair in yard
Parent's Pit Killed 4 month old with Mother Sleeping in same room Pack of Dogs on Indian Reservation Killed Woman Walking on the Street
1) 1-8 - KAY TORRES - 52 - Taos Pueblo NM - Mauled to death by a Pack of Dogs mid morning on Wednesday, January 8 - The longtime teacher's backpack was found in the street and the dogs were standing over her - She had many dog bites to her body.
2) 1-9 - MCKENZIE TERWELL - 4 months old - Dayton OH - The father returned home to find the infant on the floor not breathing - He told the dispatcher that a family member was supposed to be watching the child - The child bled to death - A neighbor said that they had seen 3 to 4 pit bulls in the yard this summer - Reports say she was attacked by 1 pit and it was ruled "AN ACCIDENT - However, now they are reporting that the mother was asleep on the couch and had taken prescription drugs and did not hear the dog kill the baby.
3) 1-10 - DONALD W. ABNER - 55 - Conway, Rockcastle County KY - Police were called around 3:40am on Friday morning by neighbors who said there was a commotion in a yard nearby - One article reported that a girl friend of the victim who was staying with him at the home and owned the Pit Bull was standing near the body jumping on him and ordering the pit bull to attack him - Police were met by the very aggressive pit and they shot it to gain access to the victim - The woman was traumatized by the attack and was taken to a hospital for observation - The victim had bites on his head and face but autopsies will be conducted on both the victim and the dog - The woman was arrested for using a pit bull as a weapon against the man.
4) 1-25 - JULIAN CONNELL - 26 days old - Lafayette IN - It was reported that the infant was in a bedroom and the pit bull began fighting the beagle - apparently in the same room - a teenage brother managed to take the beagle out but later returned and the pit bull was standing over the baby that had injuries to head and neck - The teenage brother called 911 - It appears the mother was in the home at the time.
5) 1-30 - HARVEY J. HARMON - 76 - Attala County MS - The elderly man was in his wheelchair in the yard when 4 dogs said to be pit bulls attacked him dragging him from the chair and killing him - Two of the pits belonged to his nephew who lived with him and two appeared to be strays that hung out around them - Three of them were put down immediately and one was said to have escaped. 6) - 2-10 - STERLING VER MEER 5 - Oro Grande CA - He was killed by the family pit bull named 'Thor' that was 12-years-old and it was reported that the male pit had been with the family since it was a puppy - It was first reported that the monster killed the child in a room in the house but later reports showed an outside shed-type building a few feet from the house where the dog was kept.
DEATH INDIRECTLY CAUSED BY DOG ATTACK: 1) 2-6 - Unidentified Pit Bull Owner - A man trying to escape his 2 pit bulls attacking him in his home was killed when a neighbor hearing the commotion grabbed his crossbow and ran to shoot at the dogs but inadvertently shot the pit bull owner instead killing him.